Kelvin Expedeme | Staff Writer – January 6, 2017
Headlinenewsnigeria.com is still scratching its head and wondering why it took 3 months for Buhari’s government to take a proactive position over this crises, that 808 lives have perished, thousands orphaned, a thousand more sleep in temporary shelters.
If the President had made his stand clear and had addressed the situation directly this unfolding tragedy would have been averted.
The Nation reports , life is substantially back to normal in Southern Kaduna following the recent killings of innocent people by suspected Fulani herdsmen.
Security operatives deployed in the aftermath of the crisis have secured the area, while soldiers have been disarming residents on both sides of the divide in the communal/religious violence.
The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 1 Division Nigerian Army, Kaduna, Major Gen. Adeniyi Oyebade, confirmed that his men recovered arms and ammunition from Fulani herdsmen and their opponents in Southern Kaduna, as part of efforts to end the crisis.
Police Commissioner Agyelo Abeh separately told reporters that the situation there had been brought under control.
He added that the police and other security agencies had deployed enough personnel to contain any form of lawlessness, but pointed out that “security is everyone’s business; it cannot be achieved by the police alone, but through collective efforts.
He asked traditional rulers, religious leaders and other citizens to help in ensuring peace in Southern Kaduna,saying: “The best way to resolve crisis is through dialogue.”
Shedding light on the disarming of the warring sides,Gen.Oyebade said: “We have mopped up arms from the Fulani herdsmen and the locals. Our operations based on intelligence gathering are still ongoing and we are also working with the Department of State Services.
“As it is well known, the army has approved two battalions to be stationed in Southern Kaduna. One of them is in Kafanchan. So, we are not leaving. We will be there for as long as it’s necessary.